All Hillsdale College students are required to take three core courses in history and politics:
In addition to these, Washington Fellows will take the following courses:
Students will choose one of the following:
Additionally, students will choose one of the following:
Please refer to the Hillsdale College Catalog for additional course information.
Students of any major who are interested in the Fellowship may apply during the fall semester of their sophomore year. Applications are evaluated by a faculty selection committee. Selection is based on three criteria:
- Outstanding academic achievement and dedication to scholarly excellence
- Initiative and leadership in extracurricular activities relating to civic life
- Demonstrated interest in public affairs and public service
How to Apply
Students must submit the following items with their application:
- A resume
- A three-to four-page writing sample from a paper submitted during the student’s freshman year
- One letter of recommendation from a Hillsdale College professor
- A two-page essay on an assigned topic
Additionally, applicants must have a freshman GPA of 3.5 or higher. A cumulative GPA of 3.5 or greater is required for maintenance of the scholarship.
Qualified candidates will proceed to the interview stage, which will take place during the fall semester. Students should be prepared to discuss various points in their resume, coursework, and paper submissions.