Political Thought and Culture
Study the writings of political philosophers from ancient, medieval, and modern eras, focusing on their understandings of human nature and the purpose of government. Learn how each has influenced the American political tradition.
- Aristotle, Thucydides, Plato
- Cicero, More, Shakespeare
- Locke, Machiavelli, Hegel
Explore the meaning and history of American constitutionalism from the Founding through the Civil War, the rise of progressivism, and the growth of the administrative state. Analyze the current debate over the meaning of liberty and the proper role of government.
- Declaration of Independence and U. S. Constitution
- Records of the Federal Convention, the Federalist Papers, progressive writings
- Writings and speeches of the Founding Fathers and later American statesmen
Learn how to apply the principles of free government and advance the cause of constitutionalism and liberty in the context of ever-changing circumstances in American society and around the world.
- Separation of Powers, Bureaucracy
- Statesmanship, Political Parties
- Constitutional Law, Foreign Policy